Thursday, October 13, 2011

Counting Down To December

Normally I would have a countdown to Christmas, I happen to love Christmas with a passion that blows other holidays out of the water. I love the sights and the sounds, the chill in the air, the heavy or light snowfall on a winters eve. I love the sparkling Twinkle lights that adorn street corners or are hung in malls, I adore the uplifting or melancholy music that IS Holiday music. I count the days down until my favorite TV shows have their Christmas Specials and above all is I love the silence and serenity that Winter seems to shroud us all in.


But this year is different, this year I am counting down to Italy. I will set off for worldly Culinary adventures in faraway Orvieto, Italy. I will receive a Diploma for Italian Cuisine, get to tour amazing winery's and explore amazing caverns and fantastical stone gardens. In the winter. In one of my favorite seasons. Everyone wishes to go to Italy in the Spring or Summer, to see the flowing green vineyards, or the stunning sunflowers. I am SO excited that I get to see, what one might call the absence of Italy. Though by no means will it be any less impressive then that of its summer/spring counterparts. To me, winter is when you fine the secret doorway to another magical world.

I hope to find magic there, I believe I will. I feel it in my gut. Something stunning will happen that will allow me to better myself and better my life. I cannot wait to see how it all unfolds.

But for now I am in the second week of the Fall Quarter. Today was rainy, with a brisk breeze. My favorite sorts of days. I feel more at peace when the clouds shroud the world in a cloak of mystery.

Monday was a nothing sort of day, we had lecture for the front of the house while the back of the house continued to prep for Tuesday, the opening day. Tuesday we opened, we had one reservation on the books, and two walkins. My friend Sara and I also got to sit and eat. We're not sure if thats because we sucked at serving on Monday during demo or really what was going on. But it was fun and tasty, she's going on the Italy trip so we talked about that as well as the horrible woman who is the front of the house teacher. She...well this post isnt about blasting anyone. That will come for another day. We had a fun visit from Chef Fig! Thats always fun! And finally Wednesday, my foot was killing me and she *the horrible woman* allowed me to be Matrie'D and sit on a chair. We had to reservations and two walkins. I thought it went well. Next week I'll most likely be a waiter. I'll have someone take my picture.



Finally, I must tell you about this book I've just finished. Its called The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It has captured my soul and refuses to let go, much like the Reveur's in the story. I am enchanted. I finished it today and plan to re-read it again ASAP. I already have a quote that I have chosen to get tattooed on me, along with a picture that the author drew for a tarot deck. Its beautiful. Its a bit strange to have found this book and to be going to Italy at the same time...I believe they are connected in some way. I'll see how the story unfolds. You'll want to stay on for the ride....

No comments:

Post a Comment